[zeromq-dev] my first experience in mixing zmq1 and zmq2 in one app

Martin Sustrik sustrik at 250bpm.com
Wed Dec 23 16:07:14 CET 2009

Robin,

> Is there any reason not to do this as part of the standard the ZMQ2
> distribution? The zmq1 and zmq2 api’s aren’t backwards compatible in any
> way, seems like it should be a separate library.

True. However:

You cannot change the namespace of 0MQ/1.0 because that would break
existing applications.

You can change namespace of 0MQ/2.0, but then the question is how?
Functions like zmq2_msg_init, zmq2_recv, ZMQ2_PUB etc. would be plain
ugly, zeromq_msg_init, zeromq_recv, ZEROMQ_PUB etc. on the other hand
are too long to be convenient.