[zeromq-dev] Handling errors from OpenPGM call pgm_recv() and friends

Steven McCoy steven.mccoy at miru.hk
Fri Dec 18 16:53:54 CET 2009

2009/12/18 Martin Sustrik <sustrik at 250bpm.com>:
> The second case is when error occurs when sending/receiving data. This is
> done asynchronously and the error should be handled in the background
> instead of passing it to the user. In this case there are only two different
> error types to take into account: those that should never happen (indicates
> bug in the code) and those that can happen due to different problems with
> the network. The former we'll handle usign assers, the latter can be handled
> by [delayed] reinitialisation of PGM transport.

Sending errors in OpenPGM are hidden from the callee because as they
are going be transient a subsequent send or SPM broadcast will cause
the recovery mechanism to re-send any dropped packet.

I'll have to go through the list again and see if I can clearly
distinguish between programmer error, API internal error, and system
errors.

--
Steve-o