[zeromq-dev] Debian packaging

Peter Busser busserpeter at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 16:32:46 CET 2009

2009/12/16 Martin Sustrik <sustrik at 250bpm.com>:
> Hi all,
>
> For those interested in Debian packaging of 0MQ, the initial version by
> Peter Busser was commited to zeromq2 trunk (packages/debian directory).

With the help of Dirk Eddelbuettel BTW.

> Thanks Peter!

You're welcome. I have just e-mailed Martin some more enhancements.
The packages provide libraries for C, C++, and Common Lisp. Which
means that Ruby, Python, and Java need to be added. I couldn't get
these to compile and have no idea how to fix it, so I leave those as
an exercise for the reader. Also the Common Lisp performance tests
aren't included, I first have to have a look at them to find a way to
make them easily used without having to type lots of Lisp stuff first.
(The Common Lisp library is included and loads fine when using ASDF).
The Common Lisp library needs two dependencies which are not available
in Debian at the moment (i.e. trivial-garbage and iolib).

The packages were created on Debian Lenny. It would be interesting to
know whether building works on Ubuntu too.

The packages are numbered 1.9. That means that they will be easy to
upgrade when 2.0-final is released. (2.0 is bigger than 1.9, whereas
2.0 is smaller than 2.0-alpha3 in the eyes of apt-get and dpkg).

My plan is to automatically build packages for Debian and Ubuntu in
the future. The i386 and amd64 architectures will be supported. And I
intend to include the trivial-garbage and iolib dependencies needed by
the Common Lisp bindings. That way Debian Common Lisp users can easily
install the required libraries.

Anyways, with the Debian packages available, nothing will be able to
stop ZeroMQ from taking over the world. :-P

Groetjes,
Peter.