[zeromq-dev] Building the Git repo sources

Martin Sustrik sustrik at 250bpm.com
Mon Dec 14 11:28:05 CET 2009

Hi Peter,

> I am trying to create .deb packages for ZeroMQ.

As a starting point you can have a look at the packaging script in
version 1.0:

http://github.com/sustrik/zeromq1/blob/master/dists/suse/zeromq.spec

Also, Dirk Eddelbuettel have done some work on packaging version 2.0 so
he may wish to share that.

> However, I am trying
> to figure out how to build ZeroMQ from the Git sources. But being
> inexperienced with the autotools, I am unable to figure out how to
> generate the configure script. Can someone more experienced please
> tell me how to accomplish that? I am sure it must be a trivial (if not
> stupid) question for someone with autotools experience.

Just run ./autogen.sh in the base directory.

However, I've just upgraded to Karmic Koala and there seems to be a
problem with new autoreconf (2.64). If that's your case, simply run
autoreconf by hand:

autoreconf --install --force

> Anyways, I would like to thank the authors of ZeroMQ for writing such
> a cool piece of software. Especially the availability of the Common
> Lisp bindings was a reason for me to choose ZeroMQ.

The thanks goes to Vitaly Mayatskikh who thought of writing Lisp
binding. I was told several times since then that the Lisp binding is
the coolest feature in the product :)