[zeromq-dev] interesting ideas in another project?

Martin Sustrik sustrik at 250bpm.com
Mon Dec 14 09:32:45 CET 2009

Steven McCoy wrote:
> 2009/12/13 Martin Sustrik <sustrik at 250bpm.com>:
>> The biggest part of the work concerns building a "stack" in the message, so
>> that at each middlebox source of the message is glued to the message before
>> it is forwarded. When reply is coming in the opposite direction, the source
>> is stripped from the message and used to route the reply to the correct
>> requester.
>
> FYI:  TIBCO Rendezvous does this at the subject level, and is why
> there is a reply subject in the header of each message.  The
> requirement for this came about for MAN and WAN routing of traffic,
> whereby each machine on the local network is not permitted to directly
> communicate with every machine on remote networks.
>
> Subjects are a dotted sequence of characters like ØMQ, and whilst
> broadcast subjects are left for regular message routing,
> point-to-point messages are directed at each message routing hop and
> will look something like "_INBOX.0337BCAC.589249F93A08678300.1" for
> the local segment, and then have the router INBOX appended so it ends
> up looking like
> "_INBOX.0337BCAC.589249F93A08678300.1 at _INBOX.023493434.2349834902834ABBFFEE.3"

Right, that was the idea I had. It's quite possible it cannot be done
any other way anyway. Still, I would like to have something more
readable in message header. 0MQ allows for named instances of sockets
(see ZMQ_IDENTITY socket option) so we can possibly go on with something
like: MY_CLIENTAPP.MY_MIDDLEBOX1.MY_MIDDLEBOX2 etc. using random
alphanumeric sequences only for unnamed sockets.