[zeromq-dev] interesting ideas in another project?

Martin Sustrik sustrik at 250bpm.com
Sun Dec 13 12:13:14 CET 2009

Hi Jon,

> been out of the loop for a few days. I still mean to take a look at what's
> required for request-response mechanism we discussed.

I've done an analysis of what's needed in the meantime.

The biggest part of the work concerns building a "stack" in the message,
so that at each middlebox source of the message is glued to the message
before it is forwarded. When reply is coming in the opposite direction,
the source is stripped from the message and used to route the reply to
the correct requester.

The sockets at the endpoints should hide this stack from the user, so
the application may remain agnostic about underlying transport
mechanism. Consequently, there should be 4 socket types: standard REQ
and REP for end-users plus extended XREQ and XREP to be used by
middleboxes. See the attached diagram.

Obviously, all the message mangling should be done in extra-efficient
manner, i.e. with no extra copying of messages and no additional memory
allocation.

Would you like to help with this? (I am just about to start with it myself.)

> I have been following this http://www.kamaelia.org/Home project on/off for a
> while and think there are some interesting ideas in it. Maybe you will think
> so too.
>
> Similar to the already existing zmq_forwarder and streamer,
> this project has come up with some other abstractions.
> I found it quite interesting, and thought you might too.
> It may even be possible to create some similar zmq components
>
> http://www.kamaelia.org/Cookbook
>
> I think the simplicity and similarity of some of the python examples and of
> the zmq_forwarder etc is an interesting idea.

Yes. The project obviously came from a different background
(audio/video) but the concepts it uses seem to be convergent with 0MQ
concepts.

Have you encountered any special concepts in Kamelia that 0MQ is lacking
and which may prove useful?