[zeromq-dev] Thoughts on Linux End User Summit

Steven McCoy steven.mccoy at miru.hk
Tue Dec 1 11:18:20 CET 2009

2009/11/27 Martin Sustrik <sustrik at 250bpm.com>

> Any thoughts on the issue anybody? Is there a section of messaging
> functionality that would benefit from being moved down to the kernel?
> Any experience with that kind of thing anybody?

I'm tempted to try out the recvmmsg() patch, similarly all the openonload
stuff looks good but it's limited to one vendors NIC.

http://vger.kernel.org/netconf2009_slides/recvmmsg.pdf

It's looks like it's making it's way up to the real kernel as the author is
a RedHat guy,

http://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/63763/

The PGM protocol would see great performance if repairs could be handled
within kernel space, i.e. lock the transmit window into the kernel and
reduce context switches and kernel-user memory conversions.

I wonder if this means RedHat have their own PGM implementation being tested
internally for MRG.

--
Steve-o