[zeromq-dev] 0MQ packages - call for comments!

Erich Heine sophacles at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 01:39:55 CEST 2009


Awesome on the packaging!
Is there a way to make the various low level protocols pluggable, say loaded
from an .so based on a config file (w/out lowering performance too much of
course...) ? If so that would be the best inclusion answer :)

Many Debian packages are maintained in such a way that there is a minimal
version of the package, and a -full version of the package, and other
-option packages for common cases (see vim), depending on if it actually
would be useful for this, packagers (debian developers) may be willing to
help on that front.

Language bindings as separate packages is a definite yes!

As for the examples, I think they very much should be included. In linux
(Debian specifically) they can go in /usr/share/zeromq/examples or
/usr/share/doc/zeromq/examples and might as well include a
/usr/share/doc/zeromq/whitepapers.  Alternately a zeromq-doc package :)

That is my $0.02

Regards,
Erich

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 3:43 AM, Martin Sustrik <sustrik at fastmq.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We are currently considering delivering 0MQ as binary packages -
> starting with individual Linux distros, later on moving to different OSes.
>
> The problem is that 0MQ has a lot of configuration options and optional
> components. Many of these have to be compiled into the core 0MQ library
> and thus cannot be delivered as optional binary packages. So, with
> binary packages we should deliver configuration that would work OK for
> 95% of 0MQ users. The remaining 5% would still have to build the product
> from source.
>
> It would be extremely helpful to get users comments on the best
> configuration to be used for binary packages.
>
> What follows is my personal proposal:
>
> The core package:
>
>  libzmq extesions:
>    SCTP: no
>    PGM: no
>    AMQP: no
>
>  Utilities:
>    zmq_server: yes
>    cpu frequency estimator: no
>
>  Addons:
>    manual pages: yes
>    performance tests: no
>    camera example: no
>    stock exchange example: no
>    chartoom example: no
>    butterfly example: no
>
> Language bindings can be delivered as separate packages:
>
>    C language binding: yes
>    Python language binding: yes
>    Java language binding: yes
>    CLR binding: yes
>
> Thoughts? Comments? Requirements?
> Martin
> _______________________________________________
> zeromq-dev mailing list
> zeromq-dev at lists.zeromq.org
> http://lists.zeromq.org/mailman/listinfo/zeromq-dev
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://lists.zeromq.org/pipermail/zeromq-dev/attachments/20090417/31482a42/attachment.html>


More information about the zeromq-dev mailing list