[zeromq-dev] Just installed zmq and have a question about wiring and running a broker.

Martin Sustrik sustrik at fastmq.com
Tue Apr 7 15:47:45 CEST 2009

Hi Vineet,

Currently, the chatroom and zmq_server have to be separate processes.
However, as quite a lot of people complained about this restriction, we
would like to introduce two separate messaging models in post-0.6 future.

The idea is that there'll be layer 1 API ("0MQ sockets") that would
basically work as POSIX sockets adding all the fancy stuff:
message-orientation, high performance, queueing, different transport
protocols, multicast, load balancing, on-disk offload, auto-reconnect,
wide OS and language support etc. No zmq_server and no symbolic name
resolving at layer 1:

int s = zmq::socket ();
zmq::bind (s, "zmq.tcp://192.168.0.115:5555");
message_t msg;
zmq::receive (&msg);

or:

int s = zmq::socket ();
zmq::connect (s, "zmq.tcp://192.168.0.115:5555");
message_t msg (data, size);
zmq::send (s, msg);

Then there'll be layer 2 API ("0MQ for enterprise") with current API,
zmq_server, symbolic name resolving, configuration stored in a directory
service etc.

I expect there are several people on the mailing list who would benefit
from "0MQ sockets". If so, let us know your requirements and use cases
so that we can incorporate it into the design early on. Also, any help
with design and/or implementation would be welcome.

Martin