[zeromq-dev] Excel RTD, etc.

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Tue Sep 2 22:13:12 CEST 2008

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 9:15 PM, Shahbaz Chaudhary
<schaudhary at genghisfund.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your responses.  I fundamentally misunderstood this project.
> I thought it was another, faster, implementation of AMQP, no more, no
> less.

My explanation was probably a little thin: 0MQ appears to be a
framework that lets one recreate messaging architectures of various
(any?) type.  It is a kind of cloud microkernel: pieces exchange
messages and can be anywhere, local or remote.  Very cute.  Martin
will presumably explain this better than me.

AMQP is both a wire level protocol and a semantic for connecting
distributed applications.  0MQ includes a reimplementation of the
second aspect (exchange-binding-queue model).  I guess there are
various people looking at ways to deconstruct that, see
http://wiki.amqp.org/open:2-gem.  (This is something I'm working on
with the Rabbit Technology guys).  So 0MQ is not totally outside the
AMQP universe, it is kind of an alternative reality version of it.

> In my environment, I have producers/consumers communicating through C#,
> Java, Excel...certainly C++ as we grow.

Nice mix... We always wanted AMQP to be for all languages.  I'm glad
that this was a useful goal.

> In any case, my RTD code is at this location:
> (look at the code in the attached files, not the code in the message)

I think it'll be quite fun to make that work in C++.  Let's encourage
Martin and his team to look at it... :-)

--Pieter

--
"Random (adj.) Measured with insufficient accuracy."
-- Devil's Wiki - http://www.devilswiki.com.