[zeromq-dev] Excel RTD, etc.

Martin Sustrik sustrik at fastmq.com
Tue Sep 2 21:33:41 CEST 2008

Shabaz,

> Thanks for your responses.  I fundamentally misunderstood this project.
> I thought it was another, faster, implementation of AMQP, no more, no
> less.

You've actually hit the problem we've noticed already: The front page is
not clear enough about what 0MQ is and what it is not. We are planning
to make it more comprehensible soon.

> In my environment, I have producers/consumers communicating through C#,
> Java, Excel...certainly C++ as we grow.
>
> In any case, my RTD code is at this location:
> (look at the code in the attached files, not the code in the message)
>
> This was my first real C# project and it has a critical missing feature:
> it doesn't know how to handle excel-timeouts very well.
>
> Implementation of an RTD server basically involves implementing the
> IRtdServer COM interface.  I did the implementation in C#, which
> required jumping through a few hoops.  C++ programmers will probably
> have an easier time of it.

Nice. We can possibly use your code later on, when Windows port and C#
binding is available. The other way is of course to use Qpid client +
your RTD code to connect to 0MQ via AMQP once this feature is released.