[zeromq-dev] Preliminary results of voting

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Tue Sep 2 18:57:29 CEST 2008

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 6:05 PM, Martin Sustrik <sustrik at fastmq.com> wrote:

> No. Bundling two messages into single packet will make the second one have
> the same latency as if it was sent alone it its own packet. The first one
> will have a slightly higher latency because it has to wait for the second
> message to be submitted.

This is true if there is a wait.  But if I understand correctly, 0MQ
is using internal queues so the writing thread is reading from a queue
and writing to a socket; surely the queue will in some cases fill up
faster than the output can be sent.  In such cases it costs nothing to
take multiple messages off the queue and send as a single network
package.  This means one stack traversal, with no extra wait time
except the marginal cost of taking more data off the queue.  Have I
misunderstood something?

"Random (adj.) Measured with insufficient accuracy."
-- Devil's Wiki - http://www.devilswiki.com.