[zeromq-dev] Building on Windows

Martin Sustrik sustrik at fastmq.com
Wed Dec 31 10:31:19 CET 2008

Hi Michael, George, everyone,

There's one thing I would like your opinion on.

Currently, there are 3 build systems in 0MQ because of Win32: MSVC
project, CMake and MinGW. We cannot maintain all three of them
Maintaining all 3 of them would be too much work with too little added
value for us. Thus, we would like to choose one to maintain.

There are several (mostly contradictory) requirements to take into account:

1. Deployment of Windows binaries will be done via MSI installer
package, thus 0MQ users won't have to care about build system at all.
The only ones who should be still interested in the topic are developers
intending to modify 0MQ code itself.

2. Ideally, there should be only one build system which would mean that
MSVC proj is not an option as it doesn't work for non-Windows systems.

3. CMake is able to generate MSVC project files (am I right?)

4. CMake is missing some features, like packaging (am I right?)

3. Windows developers may be have little experience with anything aside
MSVC and say MinGW may be considered to be an entry barrier to high to
overcome.

4. There may be performance difference between MSVC and gcc (MinGW) build.

5. MinGW may require additional dependencies on runtime (is it so?)

Any thoughts anyone?