[zeromq-dev] Poll results!

Martin Sustrik sustrik at fastmq.com
Tue Dec 9 16:37:02 CET 2008

Hi all,

We've ended the poll about new features in 0MQ today. Here are the results:

1. Windows port (18 votes)

Windows port is already available in 0MQ/0.4.

2. Topic-based message routing (11 votes)

This feature is on our roadmap. However, it resides quite high in the
messaging stack and thus it's scheduled to be implemented *after* some
low-level features (transitive flow control, pluggable MOM protocols etc.)

3. Multicast (9 votes)

PGM plug-in is available for a long time already, however, 0MQ core
needs few changes to be able to support multiple transport protocols
(say TCP+PGM) at the same time. This functionality is high in our
priority list.

4. Get latency down below 10us (7 votes)

I've wrote about this issue already. Getting the latency below 10us
means switching to high-end non-commodity networking hardware, using
kernel by-pass, non-standard APIs etc. It means using expensive hardware
& vendor-specific software to get few microseconds of latency advantage.
This kind of thing may be useful for stock exchanges to implement
collocation services, for clustering solutions within a datacenter etc.
However, the scope is pretty narrow and the development should be
strictly focused. Contact us directly (desk at fastmq.com) if you need this
kind functionality.

5. C10K (6 votes)

Handling thousands of connections in parallel is a challenge for any
messaging system. 0MQ/0.4 already supports different polling mechanisms
provided by different OS's (epoll, /dev/poll, kqueue) that remove the
bottleneck in the OS kernel layer.

6. XMPP (6 votes)

Prerequisite for XMPP support is implementing MOM-protocols as plug-ins.
Thus a single instance on 0MQ would be able to handle 0MQ native traffic
on one connection, while processing AMQP messages on another, XMPP
traffic on the third one etc. Making the protocols pluggable is high on
our priority list. However, we would appreciate help from XMPP community
w.r.t. writing the XMPP parser itself.

7. Persistence (5 votes)

Persistence is contradictory to high performance. Storing data
permanently is time-expensive operation. We've done some tests with SSD
storage and at this point we are sure we can add persistence to 0MQ with
the trade-off of ~200us higher latency (messages may be moved from SSD
to standard HDD in the background). If you really need this
functionality, I would suggest contacting us directly as it is quite low
on the priority list right now.

8. Get throughput up to 5,000,000 msgs/sec (5 votes)

As 0MQ is able to handle thrice the peak volumes of OPRA feed
(consolidated market data feed of big US option exchanges) without any
message batching on part of the application. The request for 5M msgs/sec
thus seems a bit exagerated. But sure, we are optimising the stack as we go.

9. .NET client (4 votes)

We believe that being able to access 0MQ from C#, VB etc. is the key to
allow 0MQ to extend from the datacenter (primary use case for the
product) to the desktop. Thus, you'll be seeing .NET client for 0MQ soon.

The rest of the features got 2 or less votes. Let me summarise them briefly:

10. STOMP support (2 votes) - same comment applied as to XMPP
11. Security (2 votes) - low priority as for now
12. RTD integration (1 vote) - can be done as an external project if
there's a volunteer out there :)
13. SCTP (1 vote) - seems there's a little interest in the feature
14. Perl API (1 vote) - no much interest either
15. IPv6 support (0 votes) - no one wants IPv6!

Thanks everybody for joining the survey and have a nice holidays!