[zeromq-dev] 0MQ on embedded devices - Quadrocopter project

Ilya Dmitrichenko errordeveloper at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 19:02:31 CET 2011

Hi Rudie,

In fact I have asked a question here a little while ago with pretty
much the same subject line [search the archives] :)

On 24 November 2011 15:04, Rudie Shepherd <rudie at globalpro.co.za> wrote:
> - Bare Metal with "pseudo threads" and sockets in hardware. Could one stub
> something like pthreads out and use ProtoThreads instead?
> http://www.sics.se/~adam/pt/

Why not to try Contiki OS? I had been doing quite a bit of work with
it for over a year now and I do recomend it to anyone who want to
program in C on microcontrollers, however you may also wish to opt for
TinyOS, however you will need to learn it's special language (read-on
please, there is quite a lot to it and I won't be able to explain it
here).

So the Protothreads are in fact one of the major parts that Contiki
had been based upon. The other part being the uIP stack which you will
probably want to use with 6loWPAN, though you also can use it with
LAN. Reply to me directly if that's what you may be interested in - I
can give some help with it :) And, in fact, I was going to implement
0MQ client in Contiki, though this has moved down on my list of
project priorities.

> - Bare Metal on micro embedded POSIX implementation. No "real" O/S yet,
> but support for threads. Sockets can be handled in a device-specific lib.
> This guy seem to be brave enough.
> http://www.edaboard.com/thread143052.html

You can also go with RTEMS, it is a POSIX compatible RTOS under GNU
license it even supports NFS ;~)

> - Bare Metal port to .Net Micro Framework. NETMF supports threads and
> sockets - but it would take a complete port to C# (not just a binding). A
> CLR version of 0MQ - is there interest in that?

Well, I am not supporting any of MS products, however I can tell you
that may be you can have a look at FezDuino ... no more comments from
me.