[zeromq-dev] Connecting to a different socket after connecting and sending messages to one socket?

Praveen Baratam praveen.baratam at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 17:01:30 CET 2010

Dear Chuck,

Thanks for writing back. I am aware of the solution you suggested using an
intermediate broker.

But in the architecture we are planning, introducing an intermediate broker
node will create a bottle neck.

My doubt is not about the architecture needed but in regard to any ZMQ
socket in general. Can a ZMQ socket be connected to a new end point after it
has started receiving messages from prior connected sockets. For example can
a SUB socket connect to a new PUB socket apart from the PUB sockets its
already connected, especially after receiving some messages from the prior
connected PUB SOCKETS?

Thank you for your patience and support.

On 19 Nov 2010 10:24, "Chuck Remes" <cremes.devlist at mac.com> wrote:

On Nov 18, 2010, at 3:22 PM, Praveen Baratam wrote:

> Hello All!
> I have a particular situation ...
This is definitely possible. Use a Streamer device to act as a centralized
"broker" between your PUSH/PULL clients and it will handle the load
balancing of N clients to M servers automatically. Clients and servers will
be able to join (and leave) without incurring any cost in notifying each
client about a new server with which to bind. By binding to the Streamer
device, it takes on the responsibility of balancing messages across the
available servers.

zeromq-dev mailing list
zeromq-dev at lists.zeromq.org