[zeromq-dev] Windows and PGM

Brian Granger ellisonbg at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 04:36:03 CET 2010

> So what you'll have would look something like this:
> void *ear = zmq_socket (ctx, ZMQ_SUB);
> zmq_bind (ear, "tcp://");
> zmq_setsockopt (ear, ZMQ_SUBSCRIBE, "forex.", 6);
> void *mouth = zmq_socket (ctx, ZMQ_PUB);
> zmq_connect (ear, "tcp://");
> zmq_device (ZMQ_FORWARDER, ear, mouth);

I like this API alot.  Also, this idea would solve the issue of
implementing a heartbeat mechanism.  It would just be a device and you
could pass it any socket you want as the responder.  I do like the
idea of having the event loop of the device hidden inside zmq_device
and run in a thread.  Because of the GIL/threading issues in Python,
we definitely need to have devices run in C++ thread.

> Thoughts?
> Martin

Brian E. Granger, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Physics