[zeromq-dev] Requirements for reliability

Steven McCoy steven.mccoy at miru.hk
Wed Apr 7 11:28:02 CEST 2010

On 7 April 2010 17:09, Martin Sustrik <sustrik at imatix.com> wrote:

> Pieter Hintjens wrote:
>
> > Reliable fanout needs subscriber info in the reliability layer, which
> > we can't do now but I'm thinking that some kinds of fanout can be done
> > in the application layer anyhow (since they involve more complex
> > matching algorithms and message formats).
>
> My understanding is that reliable fanout directly implies that a single
> slow consumer can bring whole data distribution network to a standstill.
> No sane person would want that kind of thing so we'll probably have to
> do with unreliable fanout.

I like the idea 29West took, have a node on the network listening to all the
communication and keeping a log.  Slow consumers are told to shutdown NAKs
and can slowly recover from the network log, when a consumer has recovered
and can keep up with the live source it can start sending NAKs again.

--
Steve-o